UPDATE: Kearney woman dies following early morning house fire
KEARNEY, Neb. — An early morning house fire has claimed the life of a Kearney woman.
The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at a house in the 1400 block of W. 20th St. around 4:15 Thursday morning. A news release says Kearney Police were already on scene and officers were providing care to 80-year-old Diana Hill, who had been removed from the house by a family member.
Firefighters found the blaze was contained to just one room and extinguished it.
An ambulance transported Hill to a local hospital, where she died from injuries sustained from the fire and smoke.
Investigators say the fire may have started when a cigarette was lit next to a medically-prescribed oxygen delivery system. Foul play is not suspected.
The case remains under investigation.