KEARNEY, Neb. — Nobody was injured in a morning house fire in Kearney.

The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire call in the 4200 block of 1st Ave. around 11:00 on Monday. A news release says firefighters found heavy black smoke and flames coming from the garage and heavy smoke coming from all four sides of the home. Fire crews cut a hole in the roof of the home for vertical ventilation and declared the incident under control around noon.

The release says nobody was at home when the fire started. The majority of the fire damage was contained to the garage and attic but most of the house sustained extensive smoke damage.

The fire department says a preliminary investigation shows the fire started with the malfunction of an electrical appliance or component in the garage. The fire remains under investigation.