News

Over $200K in damage reported after Lincoln house fire

Just after midnight Friday morning, a passer-by called in a house fire on Otoe Street in Lincoln.
Friday, April 22nd 2022, 1:48 PM CDT
Updated:
Image

LINCOLN, Neb. — Just after midnight Friday morning, a passer-by called in a house fire on Otoe Street in Lincoln.

When Lincoln Fire & Rescue arrived on the scene, they reported heavy smoke and fire to the single story home. Lincoln Fire & Rescue says two people were transported to the hospital by ambulance. 

Battalion Chief Bob Watton told NCN news partner 10/11 Now that a married couple who live at the home are elderly and disabled. Watton said that prior to crews arriving, the husband, who is visually impaired, had escaped the home, but went back inside to get his wife out of the burning structure.

Chief Watton said both people were hospitalized with serious injuries, including some minor burns.

The fire was extinguished and inspectors concluded that the fire was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette. 

Lincoln Fire and Rescue estimated that the fire caused $180,000 in structural damage and $30,000 of content damage within the home.